
After being on the list for over a year, R was finally promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel (LTC). He hasn't made it a big deal at all, but I am very proud of him and want to share the news with all our friends and family who couldn't be here for it. The occasion has made me very reflective of our life together and all the years in the Army. It has been a GREAT life for us! I've loved almost every minute of it. :)
I remember back in 1994 when R was a 2LT fresh out of Air Defense Arterilly Officer Basic Course in El Paso, TX. We moved to Ft. Campbell, KY, our first duty station, where R became the platoon leader for C Co. 2-44 ADA. Everything was so exciting and new. With enough money to make our car payments, cable and phone bills, and still go country line-dancing with our friends on Saturday nights, we had the world by the tail. We even had enough to buy a piece of starter furniture every now and then to fill our palacial, 950 sq. ft. quarters. Except for the occasional set back from a power struggle over the direction of the toilet paper roll, we were building our life together. We even felt responsible enough to own a cat and a dog simultaneously --until we realized neither of us were very fond of cats (which is a bit of an understatement).
I was the ripe ol' age of 23 and R was 24. It sure is hard to believe almost 16 years has passed since then. It is also difficult to accept the fact that we are old enough for R to be an LTC.
I recall attending our first St. Barbers Ball (a special event in the ADA world) in October of that year and thinking to myself how 'cute' it was that the senior officers and their spouses were still dancing and having fun 'at their ages'. In my own smug, youthful way I was complimenting them on their longevity and agility. Later that week I asked R how old we would be when he became a Major and/or LTC. He responded with something like, "I won't stay in the Army long enough to ever see that rank."
Ha! I guess he called that one wrong! Look at us now. Close to retirement-- and still ticking I might add. Now we're even responsible enough-- most of the time-- to have children. God has truly blessed us! We both came from loving families, we have two beautiful kids, we've lived in and visited some of the best places in the world, and we've made so many WONDERFUL friends. I can't wait to see what our future together entails.
5 comments:
that was a sweet story and you're so cute! congrats to R!
Congratulations on your promotion!! What a wonderful post... really reminds us of where we have been as well. Our kiddos still haven't met those "special friends" like they had with your kiddos. What can I say, you guys are just irreplaceable. We miss you and hope that our paths will cross again someday soon.
Congratulations to you both! So, which way does the toilet paper roll go in your house now?
Congratulations R! :) Great news! I can't believe you haven't been promoted already... WOW, that took forver..
Where are you headed? back to the states or are you staying put for a while?
Carolyn
It was a great ceremony. Congrats guys!
Post a Comment