Monday, December 1

Thanksgiving--and a little bragging.

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving! We spent our day with friends next door. They had a house full of people. With three families in attendance, there were a total of fifteen people; six adults and nine kids (six of the kids were under the age of 5). As you can imagine, it was quite a lively crowd. We played games, told stories, and laughed alot. And in keeping with the universal custom of the holiday, we had tons of food and ate way too much of it. It was definitely a day to be thankful for.

As most of you know, R, T, K and I always spend our major holidays with family in either AL or KY. I therefore, have managed to get through sixteen years contributing only in minor ways to the huge celebratory meals. In other words, I haven't had to do much of the cooking. Unfortunately that couldn't happen this year so I had to "ruck up" and cook a full-out Thanksgiving dinner.
Yes, it is true! Although we didn't host the dinner at our house I still cooked for two days straight. The menu I prepared included: a turkey, a ham, corn on the cob, sweet potato casserole, broccoli salad, brownies, and pecan pie. The pie was home-made (though I must admit that I gave a friend of mine, T- who is like Martha Stewart- the ingredients and she prepared it. I just baked it.) Other than that you must be impressed... possibly even shocked. That is the longest time I have ever spent making a meal. I still can't believe I actually spent that much time and effort in the kitchen. I felt like I should set up a tent in there. I timed it all perfectly-- with no major flubs-- and it actually tasted good, which is really the point. Anyway, enough about me...
The video below is of T sitting in the bedroom after church last weekend (still in his church clothes but now donning his "turkey hunting" cap) strumming along with the music on the cd player. This song is the instrumental version of This Old Man, He Plays One. That boy loves to play guitar so I think we'll be paying for lessons once he's old enough-- possibly drum lessons as well. I just hope his taste in music changes.


The pictures are of K's art projects from the class she is taking. So far she has designed and painted a primitive clay mask and painted a still-life watercolor. I am really pleased with what she's learning. I hope her enthusiasm for art continues. She's really good.
Forget about rich doctors and lawyers. We might have a future starving artist and musician on our hands.

3 comments:

mocksfive said...

That picture is outstanding! WOW - you have a couple talented kids!!!

These are the days... said...

Seriously? She painted that picture?

Mommy said...

Really they don't need to make the money they have y'all to support them! Get back to work Tammy!